How to get the Habitation Certificate in Alicante?

Do you need a habitation certificate “Cédula de Habitabilidad – Licencia de primera o Segunda ocupación”? We want to explain to you the  step by step and what you have to do to get the habitation Certificate in Alicante.

The first thing you need to know is:

What is a Habitation Certificate?

The Certificate of Habitability is an administrative document granted by the City Councils (using a responsible declaration), which certifies the minimum conditions necessary for a home to be inhabited.

This is a technical document drawn up by an Architect or Building Engineer. Once they have it ready, this document must be presented in the town hall.

The habitation certificate or the Second Occupation is always requested at the Town Hall where the house is located, and it is always granted by the Town Hall itself and not by the technician, who only inspects the house and issues the Certificate of Habitability. Obtaining it implies that the home is suitable for residential use, which is legally required in the event of sale or rental of the home.

Importance of having a Second Occupation Certificate in Alicante

If you do not have a Second Occupation Certificate and there is an accident (such as a fire …) there is a legal vacuum, and the insurance companies do not usually cover the loss.

Does the Certificate of Habitability Expire in the Valencia community?

Its expiration date is 10 years. This is because the town hall must be sure your house is still habitable after these 10 years.

Does the Certificate of Habitability Expire

When do I have to renew it or update it?

  1. When a transfer of ownership occurs. If you will buy or sell a property in Alicante, this document must be updated.
  2. When it is necessary to formalize a new contract for the supply of water, gas or electricity.
  3. It will also be necessary to obtain a new habitability certificate when works are carried out in existing buildings for expansion, modification, reform, rehabilitation that alter the architectural configuration or there is a variation in the volume of the house

Therefore, if your home has undergone any extension (with or without a building permit) you must obtain a new Responsible Declaration of Second Occupation.

Can you live in a home without having a First Occupancy Certificate?

No, you can never live in a home without the mandatory habitation certificate. Both the First Occupancy Certificate (for new buildings) and the Second Occupation Certificate (for used ones) give the dwelling the legal character of habitable, so it is only then when it will be able to occupy and contract the water services, electricity and gas.

How long does it take to get a habitation certificate in Spain?

The application process takes around 7 working days once the Architect has visited your property. We will send you the application form stamped by the Town Hall. With this document (Declaraicón Responsable) you can sell a house, rent a property or get a Tourist Licence.

Steps to get the Habitation Certificate in Alicante

Steps to get the Habitation Certificate in Alicante

If you need to have the Certificate of Habitation in Alicante those are the steps you should have to do.

  1. It is mandatory to present a certification signed by a professional technician with the rest of the documents that justify your property complies with the habitation requirements. Then, please first contact us. We are going to explain to you all you need.
  2. We prepare a budget for this service. We send it to you by email. Check it out and let’s move on.
  3. Once you accept our service, immediately we schedule a meeting where we will inspect your property and take all the needed data.
  4. Meanwhile, we are going to ask you about a list of documents that you have to provide to us to be able to proceed with the administration work in the city council. Skip the stress of endless phone calls to the administration. This is our job. You just prepare for us:
    a. Copy of your Identification Document or passport
    b. Deed home and a simple note from the property registry
  5.  Also, we prepare some other administration documents for you to sign.
    a. Authorization of representation model, or simple note from the property registry
    b. Responsible Declaration Form of Second Occupation.
    c. Municipality tax letter.
  6. We explain to you how to de the payment to the city council to pay the municipality taxes for the habitation certificate or we can do it on your behalf.
  7. After visiting your property, we begin to write the technical certificate where all the habitation requirements are justified.
  8. Once all the documents are ready to be present in the city council, we do the administration work to submit everything.
  9. We give you the receipt that justifies everything that has been submitted (Declaración Responsanle) and we send you the documents to you keep everything with you.
  10. You are ready! This is valid for you to use for your sale or rental procurements.

Now, once the Responsible Declaration of Second Occupation is registered together with the technical certificate your new Habitation Certificate is considered to be in force, so there is no need to wait until the city council communicates the approval.

Remember the city council is the administration uncharged to grant you the Habitation Certificate. We as technicians are doing the inspections and the technical documents to justify the property complies with all the requirements.

Our technicians are registered on the professional College of Engineers and Architects and they have the corresponding Civil Liability Insurance. We provide you total guarantee to process your Habitation Certificate in Alicante province.

Do you have any questions about how to get the habitation certificate? Call us. We are also on WhatsApp, so write or call us. We are going to do our best to help you.

The Taxable Event in the Non-Resident Income Tax Spain

Before delving into the taxable event, it is important to recall who the taxpayers under the Non-Resident Income Tax Spain(IRNR) are, as outlined in Article 8 of the Consolidated Text of the Personal Income Tax Law (TRLIRPF): Individuals and entities not residing in...