Are you planning to move, work, or study in Spain? Then you’ll need an NIE number. Standing for ‘Número de Identificación de Extranjero’, this personal, unique, and exclusive number is essential for all foreigners in Spain (Fiscal number in Spain). This guide will walk you through the importance, application process, and common questions related to the NIE number.
What is an NIE Number?
The NIE number is a tax identification number in Spain for foreigners. It is used to track all financial and legal activities within Spain, making it crucial for various purposes such as employment, opening a bank account, purchasing property, and dealing with public administrations.
How to Apply for an NIE Number
- Appointment at Police Station: Book an appointment (‘cita previa’) at the nearest police station that handles foreign documentation. This process can be a nightmare, We can get an urgent NIE in Alicante’s province in 1 week. Contact us if you urgently need the NIE certificate. See the link to book the NIE appointment. https://sede.administracionespublicas.gob.es/pagina/index/directorio/icpplus
- Documentation: Prepare the necessary documents, including your passport, visa (if applicable), proof of address in Spain, a completed EX-15 form, photo passport size, and the government tax. Every police station can have its one rules, so make sure you know the rules in the police station you choose.
- Fees: Pay the application fee, which can be done at a bank using the 790-012 form.
- Attend Appointment: Go to your appointment with all documents and receipts.
- Spanish Consulate: Apply at the Spanish consulate in your home country.
- Documentation: Submit your passport, a completed EX-15 form, and any other documents requested by the consulate.
- Fee Payment: Pay the required fee as instructed by the consulate.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: How long does it take to get an NIE number? A: It varies, but typically you can receive it on the same day of your appointment or within a few weeks. We can get urgent appointments in 1 week.
Q: Is the NIE number the same as residency? A: No, the NIE is a tax identification number. It does not grant residency status.
Q: Do I need an NIE number to buy property in Spain? A: Yes, it’s required for all property transactions, also you need it to buy a car, open a bank account, or rent a house.
Q: Can I work in Spain with just an NIE number? A: No, you will also need a work permit unless you are a citizen of an EU/EEA country.
Q: Does the NIE number expire? A: The number itself does not expire, but the document issued may need renewal, especially if it’s tied to your residency status. If your NIE says 3 months valid, it doesn’t mean is expired, you can use it to do paperwork in Spain. Trafico is the only organism that request it updated.
Obtaining an NIE number is a fundamental step for anyone planning to move to Spain or to engage in most formal activities in Spain. While the process can seem daunting, understanding the steps and preparing accordingly can make it a smooth experience. Remember to keep your NIE number safe as it is a key part of your legal and financial identity in Spain. If you need an urgent one, we can get an urgent appointment for you.