Passport stamped Spain-UK

Should I have a Passport Stamped?

We have ha many questions about when you should or shouldn’t get a passport stamped.

Some of you, UK nationals resident in Spain, have had your passports stamped at border control. We know you are concerned about what that means for your residency.

Spanish Residents before 1 January 2021

UK nationals who can demonstrate that they were resident in Spain before 1 January 2021 should not have their passport stamped or be subject to routine intentions questioning upon entry, exit and transit through the Schengen border.

However, we are conscious that it is happening in some cases and we continue to feed this back to the Spanish authorities.

Type of Spanish residencies valid

If you are resident in Spain, you should always travel with both your valid passport and proof of your residence status, such as:

If for any reason they don’t accept your green residency, the Spanish authorities have published guidance on the continued validity of the green residency certificate here:

Is the New photograph residency card for non-Europeans. As are now UK nationals.

  • Certificate of application for residency in Spain,

Once you have applied for the Residency, your status is in process. So, they shouldn’t stamped your passport.

What about if I had my passport incorrectly stamped?

passport stamped

If you have had your passport incorrectly stamped, despite showing proof of residency, we want to reassure you that your rights in Spain will not be affected.

When travelling in the future, any stamp will be considered null and void when accompanied by evidence of lawful residence such as your residency certificate. Some border authorities may annul incorrect stamps when presented with evidence of residence, but this is not required.

Spanish Non Resident

As a non-resident, you will have passports stamped at border control. Be sure if you get stamped when you entry to Spain, to be stamped once you go out.

We know, many people who, when visiting Spain, have received a passport stamp on entering, but not when you left.

Understandably, this is causing concern, particularly for those of you who are second homeowners and are worried that it might appear that you have overstayed the 90-day visa-free limit.

The solution is when you next enter Spain, you should show evidence of when and where you previously entered or exited the Schengen Area, and ask the border guards to add this date and location in your passport. Examples of acceptable evidence include boarding passes and tickets.

If you want to Spay longer than 3 months in Spain, then you need a Spanish VISA.

If you have any other questions, please contact us.

The Taxable Event in the Non-Resident Income Tax Spain

Before delving into the taxable event, it is important to recall who the taxpayers under the Non-Resident Income Tax Spain(IRNR) are, as outlined in Article 8 of the Consolidated Text of the Personal Income Tax Law (TRLIRPF): Individuals and entities not residing in...